Saturday, December 2, 2006

mission statement

squeezed in between submission deadlines, application procedures, grant proposals, lecture writing, and an immanent departure date for Germany, I made time last night to gather a few friends and colleagues to celebrate. "А повод?" (What is the reason), one invited friend asked me in Russian - and it was pretty easy to answer: My mother got a miraculous break this week in her fight against a debilitating bone condition in her spine. Strange how life can turn on a dime! One minute she was scheduled for another harrowing operation (through her rib cage, past the lung to the front of her upper spine, where a vicious inflammation had eaten an inch diameter hole into her vertebraes threatening her spine to collapse...), the next minute the surgeons discovered that astoundlingly enough her body has begun to build bone matter in the affected areas. She was sent home the same day and is now awaiting physiotherapy in a clinic starting monday.

While everyone in the family is totally aware of the fact that this is a postponement and by no means a cancellation of the ordeal, it has brought great hope to us all. It is a break, as I said. A turn of events that bought us all time, and that is what much of this blog will be about: time and how we as humans in this globalizing world handle it. I am interested in different cultural approaches to this issue, but I will admit right here at the outset that I think the Buddhists have a pretty convincing case in this regard (as in many others). Hence you will find plenty of references and hints at Buddhist thought not only in the postings, but also in my publications, readings, theories and basic convictions. I don't think I can call myself a "buddhist" yet, though - I am still searching...

Another thought system that this blog will explore is that of Velimir Khlebnikov. He has been an incredible mentor and I owe him big time for tearing down limits of thoughts, fossilized frames of reference, cultural narrowmindedness. For anyone who is in search of the global narrative - check out Khlebnikov's writings and enjoy the ride.

Ok, that is perhaps enough for my first blog on this second day of the last month of this year 6. A bientot - and enjoy your time

No comments: